Since September 2016 we have been working to make our church more environmentally friendly and to encourage our congregation and local community to reduce their carbon footprint.
We have a theme for each month and an ‘Action for the week’ is published on our notice sheet and Facebook and Twitter pages.
We are proud to say that we have achieved the Bronze Eco Church award in recognition of our efforts to care for God’s earth in each of the following areas:
Worship and Teaching
Management of Buildings and Land
Community and Global Engagement
Some of the things we have done include:
- Setting up an Eco Church Working Group
- Introducing a recycling unit in our Church hall.
- Using Fairtrade products for our Church refreshments.
- Planting more insect and bee friendly plants in our grounds.
- Having an Energy Assessment done
- Planting fruit bushes in our grounds.
- Collecting used stamps and sending them to RNIB
- Twinning our church hall toilets with toilets in Uganda
- Holding a ‘bring and buy’ sale to raise money for Christian Aid.
- Organising a bike ride
- Making Bug boxes and putting them in our grounds
- switching our electricity supplier to one which uses renewable sources
- Raising money for ‘Water Aid’ by running a bookstall at the back of Church