History

Christ Church, after the South Transept was added in the 1880s

History of Christ Church, Lancaster

Beginnings 

Christ Church came about through the vision and generosity of one person – Samuel Gregson MP. He, and his father – also Samuel Gregson, had made their money on the Lancaster Canal, and are also listed in the UCL List of those who received compensation for the slave trade. 

In 1854, Samuel Gregson Junior bought the land on South Field close to his house, in an area of Lancaster which was dominated by quarries and the local workhouse. He funded the construction, and endowed the church, intending it to serve the inmates of the adjacent workhouse. 

The elderly, infirm and young children of the workhouse were faced with a 2 mile round trip to the Priory church. But when the workhouse Guardians refused to appoint a chaplain, Gregson promised to build them a church which the inmates could attend, with a specially provided seating. He also foresaw the church serving the Grammar school and the Freehold estate, which had recently moved from it’s site near the castle, to the current East Road location. 

The headmaster, Thomas Faulkner Lee was to be the first incumbent. Apart from the workhouse and the school, the area around Christ Church was rural and underdeveloped – as the nearby Moorlands estate had yet to be built. 

In 1856 the White Cross Mills were purchased by the Storey Booths and became the largest employer on this side of the city. Combined with the growing Williamson Linoleum factory, a tremendous amount of new housing was constructed on nearby Moorlands. 

Williamson Park was completed in in 1880, and the nearby Roman Catholic Cathedral was built in 1859, with the steeple being completed in 1924. Gregson went on to build the public baths and wash house, on the site where Sainsbury’s supermarket now stands.

Building

The church was designed by a London architect, Henry Martin, who seems to have been inspired by the twin towers of St Katharine’s Hospital Chapel in Regent’s Park, London. The Foundation stone was laid in 1855. The work was carried out by a small group of building contractors, with Christopher Blades and MC Baynes doing the lion’s share of the work. Built using local sandstone from Scotch Quarry, and slate from the Lake District, the total cost was around £3000, then a huge sum. Local artisans, Shrigley and Hunt were responsible for the interior decoration in the High Church, Gothic Tractarian style. No expense was spared on the internal decoration, including the chancel arch and the Minton floor tiles in the chancel with their Pugin design. 

Consecration

Christ Church was consecrated on the 23th September by the Bishop of Manchester (at that time, the Diocese of Blackburn didn’t exist). A detailed and colourful account of the service and the building’s construction has come down to us in a beautifully hand-illustrated Victorian album, created by local newspaper editor, EC Quarme. 

1857 – 1873

In it’s first years, Christ Church functioned without a parish, acting as a ‘chapel of ease’ for the workhouse and grammar school. But it was well-supported by the influential Gregson family, and established a reputation for good music, with boys from the school singing in the choir.

1873-1894

By 1873, housing development and increased population warranted the declaration of a parish, and Philip Bartlett was appointed as first Vicar. Bartlett, perhaps more than anyone, built up the parish both pastorally and physically, adding the south aisle in 1889 and creating the Gregson Institute (first called the Christ Church Temperance Hall) in memory of Samuel’s brother Henry Gregson, who was also a great stalwart of the church. 

Bartlett founded the mission church, the Church of the Holy Spirit, on Dale Street in 1892, and also bringing about Christ Church day- and Sunday- Schools. After Bartlett’s death in 1894, the Baptistery, designed by Lancaster firm of Paley and Austin, was added in his memory. 

1895 – 1937

Bartlett was successes by Melbourne Ker-Cooper, who had been curate and was to remain as Vicar for an astonishing further 43 years. Many of the church’s adornments date from his time, including the pulpit and nearly all the stained glass, much of it by the celebrated Lancaster firm, Shrigley and Hunt. In 1907, the organ was moved to the north transept, and the vacated loft was converted into the Storey Chapel. This was the gift of another great supporter and benefactor of the church, Edward Storey, who was churchwarden for 46 years. 

In 1919, the war memorial was added to the West Lawn, and 1927 a refurbishment of the church saw the installation of a chancel screen and altar rails. By 1950, an altar was placed in the Lady Chapel in memory of Ker-Cooper’s legacy. 

Post War changes

Austerity and social trends in the 20th century affected Christ Church as elsewhere, but the church centenary’s in 1957 was a memorable event, including a large procession through the parish. A silver processional cross, using up-cycled jewels from a cross given by the Chaine Family, was presented at Easter 1951 – and this is still in use today.  

The church has been reordered and refurbished on several occasions, not least to accommodate  the needs of modern worship and provide greater access to an electronic organ and sound system.  The Dale Street Mission was closed in 1960, but the following year saw the opening of a prefabricated church hall next to the church. Later, a Mission was established on Ridge Lane, on what is now the Kaizen Academy. In 1981, the Gregson Institute was sold to become a community arts and social centre, and the proceeds used to carry out vital repairs to the church, completed in 1984. 

Where are we now?

As Christ Church approaches it’s 170th anniversary, we are looking to ensure our buildings continue to support the parish community into the future. As our community changes, we want our buildings to continue to facilitate the worship, hospitality, pastoral care and special events which happen here. 

We are beginning work to improve the Vestry and North Transept so these are warm, welcoming spaces for people to meet. We also need to to major work to the roof and stonework so that the building is dry and warm for worship, whilst also ensuring we meet the challenges of reducing our carbon footprint. 

Given our unique history as a chapel for Lancaster’s Workhouse, we’re also planning to refurbish some of the remaining features from this time, and share more of the story of this part of Lancaster. If you’d like to be part of this work, have stories to share, or would like to make a donation, please contact us for more information.